Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Courage of Queen Esther, Arizona 2-24-13

Friend, I have lost the way. The way leads on. … Then I'll make here my place, (The road leads on), … I cannot find the way. The way leads on. … Have you ever had a fragment of something get stuck in your mind’s ear? A bit of song, a piece of poetry, a phrase from a book or essay or conversation? That happened to me with these lines from Edwin Muir’s poem, “The Way”. It perfectly expresses a feeling I often have. I wish to stay right where I am, and I hear the call, the invitation to take the next step. Things don't always work out perfectly. And…The way leads on. I can’t take one more step. The way leads on. Sometimes you get ridiculed. The way leads on. Sometimes the price is painful. The way leads on. Sometimes it takes years of baby steps. The way leads on. Sometimes you don't get credit. The way leads on (and it is worth it.) Sometimes it seems that nothing is accomplished! Is it really worth it? Yes, it is worth it. In an overcrowded world, it’s easy to underestimate the significance of one. There are so many people who have so many gifts and skills. Who needs me? What can I, What can Little ol’ me, do? What can our little congregation, do to help heal our hurting world? But the truth is, you are the only you in all the world. You are the one who is here, now. Nobody can do the things that you are called and gifted to do. What are you going to do with that one precious life that you have? What risk are you taking? What stand are you making? What action calls to you? How do you answer? As Reverend Channing, one of the founders of Unitarianism, said: Each of us is meant to have a character all our own, to be what no other can exactly be, and do what no other can exactly do. There is only one you. You’re the only person with your exact heritage, your precise series of events in the pilgrimage and sufferings of life that have brought you to this moment. You’re the only one with your personal convictions, your skills, your appearance, your touch, your voice, your style, your surroundings, your sphere of influence—you are the only one. The poet says: I am only one; but still I am one... I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. ... Find the full Audio version of this sermon on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment